Friday, November 2, 2007

110 - The making of "The Fifth Horseman" + Some QQWHINECHEESE

The basic idea for TFH came pretty quickly after the announcement of the Halloween contest at Warcraftmovies.


I wanted to make something haunting, disturbing and bloody. Without voice acting, using only music and ambient sounds to support the imagery. Influences were taken from almost everywhere: from music, survival horror games and of course (psychological) horror movies. One of my important goals was to get the horror to go inside the viewer's head.

For quite a while I had a real lack of inspiration to finish this movie. But suddenly it came back with a revenge. Then I just filmed and edited the movie in about one day. Unfortunately that shows a bit in the end result.

Also, the time limit of four minutes did not allow me to have the ending for the movie I wanted it to have.


TFH was very interesting to make! Once again I learned something new - how to decapitate people in Vegas. Very important for my future projects.

Technically I used mostly very simplistic methods to film the movie. A great amount of it is filmed in-game, only the scenes at the end include heavy modelviewing.


The colors played a big part here. As the movie happens at night and it is raining, blue tones were the thing I was looking for. It also added to the athmosphere quite nicely.


And this brings me to the big question - should I remake the movie? I still have the files, and I do have some ideas on how to extend it.

Someone at WoW Insider gave an interesting idea - the movie could have worked better with a film-noirish type narration. Why not indeed! There are director's cuts and extended editions of real movies so why not machinima then :)


Though I will certainly not work on TFH again yet. But there are always more heads to decapitate and hearts to eat >:)



Currently Istill need to get started on my Fabled Few movie, currently I lack music and a finetuned idea.

EMOQQWHINETIME!

I've also been rofling and giving the finger at the comments on WCM. "ZOMG J00 SHOULD RLY MAEK A PLOT LI3N MOVIE LOLOL!!11".


O-FUCKING-RLY.

Well, for starters making one - especially in a bigger scale - is not the easiest job. First you need the most essential thing - a script. Then the script needs to be read through, tweaked and so on to find out what is essential to the plot and what is not. Should the movie require voice actors, then it is time to look for them. This can be either an easy or a hard job - from my point of view, the voices need to be perfect.

I can't expect to get Hollywood quality for free but I need to get close to that as possible, since shitty voice acting can ruin everything.

One of the things I aim for a plot-line movie is that it must be a movie of it's own. I have no interest in doing a series because it might get really screwed up if/when voiceactors disappear to nowhere in the middle of the project. Also, if I lose interest at some point in making a possible series, the viewers will be let down. Though I have done this crime already twice.. (Two Gnomes & Tauren + CotD: Op Scholo - both series currently on indefinite hold).

An independent movie allows it to have a beginning and an end. Also the option for sequels is always there.

Yes - I do have a plotline movie in mind. Currently it only exists as a rough synopsis on my HD with most of the material still in my degraded brain cells. I have many ideas for the movie, one of them is to re-introduce a certain draenei / blood elf couple in a side role..

As long as no one is paying me for this, I inted to do as much pointless movies as I want to. Hell, even if it just to annoy those "QQ THIS SUXX NO LINKIN PARK I DO NOT GET IT"-people.

Tits.


p.s. Now I got it..! My next movie will be about a pink-haired gnome in a pink-haired dress whining about Britney using sped up audio! What an excellent idea, I'm gonna promote myself from the 'emperor of universe' to 'THE emperor of universe plus everything else'!

9 Comments:

At November 2, 2007 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

To the people that want you to make a feature-length movie/machinima, take a look at what VOIG.com is going through to do JUST that (from wow.onyxheart.com):

* Paying extras $200 per person per day
* Paying players 10,000 gold so far in bribes to stay away from the set
* "For every five minutes of scene you probably have five hours of video capture and five hours of editing." Do the math - it's a TON of work.

Baron, just keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing GREAT! Love your work, keep them coming!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM , Blogger BaronSoosdon said...

Yea, I read that earlier about MMOvie project and I gotta give them huge respect for that. But currently I am a one man studio (except for the collaborations over net).

But it also makes me wonder why the MMowned guys do that the hard way? Have they not heard of WoW model viewer and other filming possibilities?

The MMovie trailer was very impressive and I think it will definitely be a machinima milestone.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Hugh "Nomad" Hancock said...

Having made a Machinima feature film (www.bloodspell.com), I can tell you and anyone hassling you that it's bloody hard work. Are they prepared for you not to make anything else for two or three years?

Great stuff, by the way. I love your "plotless" Machinima - gave it a plug over on the Machinima for Dummies blog a while ago.

 
At November 3, 2007 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Snobaste said...

Ya, trust the Baron on this one. Even creating the very small storyline in Ultimate Dreamscape was a bitch... I can't even imagine how the hell one person could make an entire story-lined movie without an assload of effort.

 
At November 3, 2007 at 1:18 AM , Blogger Matthew Rossi said...

Not to kiss your tuckus too much, but within the constraints of time (your movie was what, four or five minutes long?) it had all the narrative it needed.

 
At November 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM , Blogger BaronSoosdon said...

I'm not that crazy to plan a feature-length film with my current equipment. Neither do I want to make anything that long yet, but a solid plot-line movie running from 15 to 30 mins is something I am aiming to do someday.

@ Ezrael: Sure the movie had the narrative it needed, but I still would've wanted it to have the ending I originally intended. I am satisfied with "TFH" as it is, but not all the way to 100%. It's like a good meal but with a few more drops of extra spice it would've been even better.

 
At November 5, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

'bout the mylinkinemoromance ppl qq'ing, dont listen to em! You do a great job mister :)

 
At November 7, 2007 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Dr Tom said...

Not like I enjoy repeating myself, but here goes :
true artists find their own public.

Else you'll go from Mozart down to Britney Spears... (well not yet Mozart, but you get the idea).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home